It’s the most wonderful time of the year, but this time of the year is also stressful and busy, which can make it very difficult to manage our diabetes to feel our best. We have some diabetes management tips for you to keep in mind this holiday season!
- Plan Ahead. Have a snack or a meal before going to your holiday dinner or party, so you can make sure you’re eating right. Also, keep a low carb snack like a small bag of salted nuts, a granola bar, or a protein bar in your purse, desk or car. Don’t forget to plan out your meals to avoid ordering in or picking up fast food on those cold winter nights!
- Get Your Sleep. When you get your rest, you feel refreshed and it can lead to better control of blood glucose levels. Shoot or 7 or 8 hours each night!
- Make Time to Get Your Heart Rate Up. Find the time to go walking for 30 minutes outside, or go to the gym, but it’s important to keep moving. Rhodes has found time and time again that regular exercise makes him feel fetter and makes his blood sugar easier to manage.
- Treat Yourself (In Moderation). Give yourself a treat once a week, at a party, at one meal or with one dessert. Then the rest of the week, make sure to carb count, limit your intake, and make healthy choices.
- Watch Your Portions. We say this again and again, but stick to the Healthy Plate Model!
- Stay Hydrated. Drink water and drink more water. We love to keep the reusable water bottles around to make sure we have water, it stays cold and it’s super easy to take with us on the go.
Don’t take a break from your diabetes management during the holidays. Show yourself some love and enjoy this magical season, but make sure you’re taking care of yourself, too.