You are what you eat is a common saying we hear time and time again. This National Nutrition Month, really focus on your portions and the foods that you’re putting into your body for your overall health.
The American Diabetes Association recommends these Diabetes Superfoods:
- Eating fish high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids twice a week (like Salmon)
- Beans (Kidney Beans, Black Beans, Pinto Beans)
- Nuts (we love walnuts)
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables (Kale, Spinach)
- Citrus Fruits (Oranges)
Don’t forget to keep these food swaps in mind at the grocery store or when you’re cooking:
- Always choose whole grains (we like to make wraps instead of sandwiches, or even have lettuce wraps, instead)
- When you’re cooking, use olive oil instead of butter
- Instead of using salt, focus on using more herbs and spice
- Drink water or sparkling water (we really like LaCroix), instead of sugary sodas or juices
- Substitute apple slices for crackers
What are you tips and tricks? Share them with us!